• Create Account

***OFFICIAL*** Poll for front page

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Official Front Page Poll (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like digital distribution services? (Steam, Origin, etc.)

1. I love it! I never have to leave home again! (11 votes [40.74%])

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

2. It's alright. I'm still going to buy disc-based PC games. (12 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

3. Eww, no. Retail alllllll the way! (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

What is your #1 favorite digital distribution service? (Please answer even if you answered choice 3 for the first question)

1. Steam (18 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Origin (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. GOG.com (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

4. Other (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Need a title

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • LocationWhere I am is where I be
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, also Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:Everything that's fun
Author

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

This is a poll that'll give me some insight on something that's going on the front page.
Answer away, and PLEASE give a reason why you chose what you chose, also name your favorite of the services. If you do, you might just be featured on the front page! ;) And if that doesn't motivate you, free rep to anyone who gives a helpful response!

Posted Image

blinxfrost said:

in game my guy spins out of control only way i can control is arrow keys my hands are to nubby to reach them and shot

View my ports! <--- Orcs Must Die, Payday, Fallout, I Wanna Be The Guy, and more!

How to use a Wineskin wrapper!

#2 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Author

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

GoG without any doubt. I don't need any stupid clients and DRM BS in my PC games, PC gaming should be wild. I mean, I don't hate Steam, it has some nice features if you want to use then (which I don't), but it sickens me that this BS is being shoved down our throats whether we want it or not. If using Steam was an option I'd be perfectly fine with that, whatever, I don't care, but forcing it onto the people who legitimately bought the game is just insulting. And don't get me even started on always-online!

Sure, GoG has still the downsides of digital distribution, like being unable to sell your game, but at least they let you play when you want on whatever you want. If I want to play my PC games on my toaster that's my business, I don't expect the developer to provide any toaster-compatibility (unless it said so on the box), but at least don't get in my way and don't bloat my computer with BS software I don't want.

Fun fact, I haven't bought any new PC games, the newest one I have is King's Bounty: Armored Princess, which has only a simple disc-check. I don't even need a more powerful graphics card any more since the only DRM-free PC that doesn't run on my system is The Witcher 2.

EDIT: BTW, I still prefer a nice boxed copy if it comes with a nice manual, map or some other cool stuff. Unfortunately most games these days only come with the disc and barebone instruction printed on black and white paper :(
Games I own that still need porting:
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Descent 3, Fallout, Space Rangers 2

#3 GameGuy

GameGuy

Legendary Member

• Members
  • 2127 posts
  • LocationCanada...Eh
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 9400m 256mb
    ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    MSI N670GTX PW/OCE 2GB SLI
  • I like to play:RPG, Racing, and of course FPS

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

I like to have a physical copy of the game just for easy access to installs without having to redownload the full game if I decide to uninstall it and want to play it again. I also chose steam because it seems most game companies are choosing this distributor for there digital and disk based game. Plus steam is a one stop shop for features a gamer will use like screenshot uploading, web browsing from in game, and connecting with people from all across the world.

Posted Image
Macbook Pro: Intel C2D 2.53ghz, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 9400m 256MB

Hackintosh: Intel i5-3570k, 16GB Ram, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, MSI GTX 670 Power Edition SLI
If my post helped you hit the like button :)

#4 KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Need a title

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, also Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.
Author

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for your responses, guys!

FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ANSWERED BUT DIDN'T REPLY HERE, PLEASE DO. Your opinions are appreciated!

Posted Image

blinxfrost said:

in game my guy spins out of control only way i can control is arrow keys my hands are to nubby to reach them and shot

View my ports! <--- Orcs Must Die, Payday, Fallout, I Wanna Be The Guy, and more!

#5 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
Author

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostKGameLover1, on 30 May 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

Thanks for your responses, guys!

FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ANSWERED BUT DIDN'T REPLY HERE, PLEASE DO. Your opinions are appreciated!

I prefer Digital, because Norwegian prices are just horrible in stores.. Digital distributions often have sale where a game costs €5-20, when in a store most games are €60 and sometimes on sale for a bit less.

www.gog.com is king, a very good selection of old games, and some new, and same pricing in the whole world.
And did i mention DRM-free!!

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#6 KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Need a title

• Members
  • 840 posts
Author

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the response! Could you elaborate more on the Norwegian prices thing? Is it really THAT BAD?
What do you do if GOG doesn't have a game you want?

Posted Image

blinxfrost said:

#7 Digital404

Digital404

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThe Nexus Core
  • Graphics Card:The one that in my machine :)
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:All games that doesn't bored me to death.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

I can't comment on anything due to the fact that I never tried doing direct download on the web, Most of my life I have bought the disc itself because I don't have to worry about their main/backup servers crashing or accounts been hacked and missed deleted. Also I know disc's attend to get scratched by been used to many times or been mistreated by friends and family.

call me crazy but that just me.
Time Paradox \/---- By 0(-----------)

#8 cybershark

cybershark

Veteran Member

• Forum Moderators
  • 371 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

I only buy PC games digital. Don't ask me why, maybe because I don't like PC games in my shelf. I only buy games for consoles physical. Somehow this is really important to me.
Another point why I always buy games digital is that there are often price actions. My favorite store is steam. That's because I have all games in one place and all my friends use steam.
And important point, I love the Steam actions (f.e. midweek deal and so on)
Another problems, PC games in stores are really overpriced in germany as well.

Posted Image

#9 Digital404

Digital404

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThe Nexus Core

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

View Postcybershark, on 30 May 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

I only buy PC games digital. Don't ask me why, maybe because I don't like PC games in my shelf. I only buy games for consoles physical. Somehow this is really important to me.
Another point why I always buy games digital is that there are often price actions. My favorite store is steam. That's because I have all games in one place and all my friends use steam.
And important point, I love the Steam actions (f.e. midweek deal and so on)
Another problems, PC games in stores are really overpriced in germany as well.
That because people put their own prices to make alittle extra money for storage and what not that doesn't pretand to us, That why some buy over price games me, I just wait until the prices go down enough for me to really get it or if its a most def game that I love then I will be org price for it. Further more most games I have are steam but on disc's

#10 Reboot

Reboot

I am Darkstar

• Database Moderators
  • 2381 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Author

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

I voted Steam (and digital too) because I owns 57 games on my steam account. I can buy any games when they are on sale like 75%. More great deal. My first purchase steam game is... Blade Kitten. :3 I stopped buying retails disc last fall.

I agreed with cluthz about www.gog.com. I was trying to show my older brother. He really like it BUT he is not going to buy anything on online shopping because he don't case about money is money. He is still downloading pirated games from torrent. He really loved old computer games.

Posted Image

~ ~ ~ Hackintosh Spec ~ ~ ~

Intel Core i5-3570K 4.20GHz -- Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB DDR3 1600MHz -- Nvidia EVGA GTX 980 4GB VRAM GDDR5 SC

#11 Digital404

Digital404

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThe Nexus Core

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostReboot, on 30 May 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

I voted Steam (and digital too) because I owns 57 games on my steam account. I can buy any games when they are on sale like 75%. More great deal. My first purchase steam game is... Blade Kitten. :3 I stopped buying retails disc last fall.

I agreed with cluthz about www.gog.com. I was trying to show my older brother. He really like it BUT he is not going to buy anything on online shopping because he don't case about money is money. He is still downloading pirated games from torrent. He really loved old computer games.
ouuu Pirateeeeeeeeeeee grrrrrr...... :)

#12 Un0va

Un0va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 3000 (grr)
  • I like to play:Mainly FPS and TPS games, but sandbox and RPG come in a close second.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

I don't think that there's really any reason to buy a CD anymore to be honest, what with all of the downloadable options that we have available today like Direct2Drive, Steam, GOG, etc. Most, if not all, PC games are available on the Internet by now.

That being said, I think that as for the actual distribution I have to say that Steam and GOG are tied. They both have great deals and great titles, but whereas Steam has a much bigger library, GOG is DRM-free. I don't see why I have to be connected to the internet to play a game in singleplayer, and it irritates me to no end.

#13 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX 760 (2048mb)
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
    Nvidia geforce 9400 (264mb)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:Games
Author

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

Steam and GOG and other online services for pc games just aren't practical for people with internet bandwidth caps and slow download speeds.
a 12gb Game on steam takes me 9 hours to download.
A 12gb game on retail disc takes me like 5 minutes to buy and 20 mins to install .

And also if i wanted a brand new video game the day it comes out i.e Latest call of duty game.
The game on steam would cost maybe 3 -5 dollars less then the retail disc version.
For me the extra 3-5bucks is worth it cause i have to wait 6 hours on my network to finish downloading and have to pay for the game.

The only time i digitally download video games are when they are free :D which is most of the time on the pirate bay :D

I rather take the extra 10 min or so .. walk to my nearest Eb games and buy the game. Plus i don't have to provide my credit card number :D
--
HM

#14 BLACKNIGHT

BLACKNIGHT

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 860m 2gb
    nVidia 780 ti Gigabyte Windforce 3x edition
    nVidia Titan X Maxwell 3x SLI
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
  • I like to play:Racing
    FPS
    RPG/SKYRIM/OBLIVION/fallout NV

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:17 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 31 May 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

Steam and GOG and other online services for pc games just aren't practical for people with internet bandwidth caps and slow download speeds.
a 12gb Game on steam takes me 9 hours to download.
A 12gb game on retail disc takes me like 5 minutes to buy and 20 mins to install .

And also if i wanted a brand new video game the day it comes out i.e Latest call of duty game.
The game on steam would cost maybe 3 -5 dollars less then the retail disc version.
For me the extra 3-5bucks is worth it cause i have to wait 6 hours on my network to finish downloading and have to pay for the game.

The only time i digitally download video games are when they are free :D which is most of the time on the pirate bay :D

I rather take the extra 10 min or so .. walk to my nearest Eb games and buy the game. Plus i don't have to provide my credit card number :D
true steam takes longer 12gig's in two hours for me but even some disk games now require steam to install and ends up download 5gigs of updates
Posted Image
When life gets You down, Grab it by the Balls
Ports Done- 9
PM me for Port Requests

#15 eridani

eridani

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationSylvarant
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GTX 1060
  • Operating System:Linux
  • I like to play:MMO/RPG

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

I'd preffer digital downloads because the price is much lower, but i really like to have the stickers, booklet, the ilustrated CD and all that extra stuff. So Eww, no. Retail alllllll the way!

I preffer to get 3 or 4 good titles per year with these extras than twice this number of games without.

So far the only service  i have ever tested is Steam so not a valid vote in my case i guess.
Also, i hate when is necesary to run one app just in order to launch another this is one fact that i hate of Steam or have to log in to play a single player game T_T!.

#16 ScipioAemilius

ScipioAemilius

Centurion du forum francophone

• Forum Sub-Moderator
  • 512 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
  • I like to play:Strategy (Europa Universalis III, EU:Rome, Rome Total War) and some RPG (NWN, TES)

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

I love digital distribution, but I can't stand the obligation to connect to the internet to play single player games installed. That's why I really dislike Steam. I'm a big fan of Gamersgate, though. But they start selling Steam games too :(
Posted Image

If there is a problem with one of my wrappers, please let me know by posting on the game thread AND by sending me a pm.
If there are no problems, then a little "Thank you!" is always heart-warming! ;)

#17 Reboot

Reboot

I am Darkstar

• Database Moderators
  • 2381 posts
Author

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

View PostBLACKNIGHT, on 31 May 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

steam takes longer 12gig's in two hours for me but even some disk games now require steam to install and ends up download 5gigs of updates
Ofc, I knew lot of steam servers are slow. I uses Steam New York server and Steam Montreal server are faster than Steam Toronto Server. It's suck because it uses stupid Toronto's ISP.

Posted Image

Intel Core i5-3570K 4.20GHz -- Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB DDR3 1600MHz -- Nvidia EVGA GTX 980 4GB VRAM GDDR5 SC

#18 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

View PostReboot, on 31 May 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

Ofc, I knew lot of steam servers are slow. I uses Steam New York server and Steam Montreal server are faster than Steam Toronto Server. It's suck because it uses stupid Toronto's ISP.
Internet Service providers in canada and internet in canada plainly sucks.
Any company or iduvidual if they want internet , must go Through either Rogers or Bell ( even if you go trough a smaller company : they rent out the connections from bigger companies)
the internet caps on usage also make it frustrating, Since there is no competition they can rip us off :(  and the government does nothing cause they are  loyal to the companies and have contracts with them :(
in canada the highest internet speeds go for are 75 mb/s and in The USA internet speeds go up to 300 mb/s :o
--
HM

#19 BLACKNIGHT

BLACKNIGHT

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 860m 2gb
    nVidia 780 ti Gigabyte Windforce 3x edition
    nVidia Titan X Maxwell 3x SLI
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
  • I like to play:Racing
    FPS
    RPG/SKYRIM/OBLIVION/fallout NV

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

View Posthmtinc, on 31 May 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

Any company or iduvidual if they want internet , must go Through either Rogers or Bell ( even if you go trough a smaller company : they rent out the connections from bigger companies)
the internet caps on usage also make it frustrating, Since there is no competition they can rip us off :(  and the government does nothing cause they are  loyal to the companies and have contracts with them :(
in canada the highest internet speeds go for are 75 mb/s and in The USA internet speeds go up to 300 mb/s :o
in australia they are trying to bring a national fibre network And it is driving prices up  but i have Fibre and Cable no one uses Cable so i get 25-75mb/s compared to the Fibre where i get 10-50mb/s
Posted Image
When life gets You down, Grab it by the Balls
Ports Done- 9
PM me for Port Requests

#20 rynotheking14

rynotheking14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon 6750M
  • I like to play:Shooters, Action-RPG, Some-strategy

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:35 AM

Retail all the way!!!

No download time, you get a DISC!  Quite useful for backup.  it also ENCOURAGES that you should not need another service to play a game you legally own.

i bought the game.  i should be able to play it my way right?

#21 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

View PostBLACKNIGHT, on 31 May 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

in australia they are trying to bring a national fibre network And it is driving prices up  but i have Fibre and Cable no one uses Cable so i get 25-75mb/s compared to the Fibre where i get 10-50mb/s
cool in canada we have both setup country wide. But our internet still sucks because the network providers throttle our internet , On a 12mb/s plan ... i get 500kb/s on torrents and p2p connections . This is all cause the big companies want people to stop watching tv / movies online and watch it on their cable / satellite networks instead .

View Postrynotheking14, on 01 June 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

Retail all the way!!!

No download time, you get a DISC!  Quite useful for backup.  it also ENCOURAGES that you should not need another service to play a game you legally own.

i bought the game.  i should be able to play it my way right?
agree with you 100%
why wait 2 - 6 hours when you can play instantly.
although people could argue that retail games are bad for environment cause we have to constantly make dvds and boxes and manuals.
maybe in future you can walk into eb games with a flash drive. Pay for the game and they copy it on to a flash drive :D .... Digital Distribution with a retail touch :D
--
HM

#22 rynotheking14

rynotheking14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 01 June 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

cool in canada we have both setup country wide. But our internet still sucks because the network providers throttle our internet , On a 12mb/s plan ... i get 500kb/s on torrents and p2p connections . This is all cause the big companies want people to stop watching tv / movies online and watch it on their cable / satellite networks instead .

this man speaks the truth!!!

#23 Reboot

Reboot

I am Darkstar

• Database Moderators
  • 2381 posts
Author

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:30 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 31 May 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

I agreed about ISPs Canada are sucky but I love Sympatico is great IPS Montreal... I used it with DSL 2MB/s 13 years. Ofc, Sympatico is under Bell now. My deaf friends are using it with cable. They don't have problem with torrent in Montreal. And I moved to wherever in Ontario because of my dad's works and my reason. I heard Bell Ontario is sucky now. Roger Ontario was ok because many people are using it in *GTA and other areas... they can download torrent with speed 1mb/s. It's really not cool. Maybe did Toronto love Roger? And Did Montreal love Bell too!? Lol!

I'm using Bell DSL 768kb/s for my family's reason.

*GTA = Greater Toronto Area

Posted Image

#24 Reboot

Reboot

I am Darkstar

• Database Moderators
  • 2381 posts
Author

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:35 AM

View Postrynotheking14, on 01 June 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

Quite useful for backup.
I can uses Steam Backup Feature. :3 It can backup any games to HDD USB and Burn Disc (Supports split into multiple files like 7zip).

Posted Image

#25 rynotheking14

rynotheking14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

if only phone, internet and isps from the us would come to canada i would be so happy:)

edit: why the heck am i 1 of ONLY two retail votes!!!

COMMON PEOPLE!!!  THIS IS A WHOLE INDUSTRY AT STAKE!!!

oh wait sorry i just hate origin with a passion

#26 cybershark

cybershark

Veteran Member

• Forum Moderators
  • 371 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

View Postrynotheking14, on 01 June 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

if only phone, internet and isps from the us would come to canada i would be so happy:)

edit: why the heck am i 1 of ONLY two retail votes!!!

COMMON PEOPLE!!!  THIS IS A WHOLE INDUSTRY AT STAKE!!!

oh wait sorry i just hate origin with a passion

Somehow I only buy retail disk for PS3. I would never buy PS3 games digital(except some of the psn games which aren't aviable on disk) XD

Posted Image

#27 reece394

reece394

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB
  • I like to play:Red Faction
    Command & Conquer
    Minecraft
    Grand Theft Auto
    Portal 1 & 2

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

I use disks regularly for games but I also use gamers gate and steam so it is a hard choice!!!

#28 Reboot

Reboot

I am Darkstar

• Database Moderators
  • 2381 posts
Author

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

No one vote Origin. Hater gonna hate. :P

Posted Image

#29 Blinx 007

Blinx 007

Master Member

• Members
  • 1351 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nivida
  • I like to play:FPS RPG 3rd Person & Horror Games

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

Steam :D

#30 Jman3350

Jman3350

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB w/ Intel HD 4000 384MB (GTX 670 2GB on Hackintosh)
  • I like to play:http://steamcommunity.com/id/jman3350/games/?tab=all
    If you have any suggestions, let me know :D

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

I voted the Steam/Retail option as I like to have the games on a server so I can download if I don't have the discs, but I also hate when I try to download and damn my internet connection over. I like to have the the physical copy as thats always a plus. I kind of wish Steam would release a service where if I paid a flat fee, I could get physical copies of all of my games. Like lets say $30 maybe? Discs don't cost that much, and I'd like to be able to have a physical backup of the games that I own, without having to pirate them and then burn them or whatever.

View Postblinxfrost, on 11 June 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Steam :D
You are supposed to say why.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users