hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX 760 (2048mb)
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
    Nvidia geforce 9400 (264mb)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:Games
Author

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

Posted Image

I am not sure if this is the right section to suggest this or not . But i have a crazy idea. The idea is the possibility of The Porting team having its own booth @ E3 2013 or having one or two of our users go to e3 as reporters for the site :D

With a booth we could advertise the Mac gaming community , Talk to Developers about the possibility of them porting to mac , We can show off The power of Wineskin and how it extends the Wine experience on Mac osx , and we could display our achievements with Mac ports and show how mac osx is capable of gaming and that there is a market for it .

This idea is more achievable i guess . The porting team could sign up for media tickets ( which are free if you qualify) and we could send some users who are willing to go to E3 to write articles on the Expo and talk to smaller developers about the Mac osx Platform :D

--
HM

#2 GameGuy

GameGuy

Legendary Member

• Members
  • 2127 posts
  • LocationCanada...Eh
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 9400m 256mb
    ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    MSI N670GTX PW/OCE 2GB SLI
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG, Racing, and of course FPS

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

I doubt this would ever work...were just a forum not a company.

Posted Image
Macbook Pro: Intel C2D 2.53ghz, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 9400m 256MB

Hackintosh: Intel i5-3570k, 16GB Ram, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, MSI GTX 670 Power Edition SLI
If my post helped you hit the like button :)

#3 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostGameGuy, on 08 June 2012 - 03:12 AM, said:

I doubt this would ever work...were just a forum not a company.
We could apply for media tickets . You don't have to be a company to have gain access to media tickets
--
HM

#4 julus

julus

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationSlovakia
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon 6750M
  • I like to play:MMORPG, Adventure, RPG, Strategy
Author

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

Do a good job, and companies will notice. You don't have to go to E3
And if you insist on going, I would go to GamesCon Germany as Europe have sane laws, and no company will sue you for using their product on other platform ;)

#5 julus

julus

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationSlovakia
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon 6750M
  • I like to play:MMORPG, Adventure, RPG, Strategy
Author

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostHrachya, on 08 June 2012 - 06:03 AM, said:

Dude... In real world, no person gives a flying *beep* about macs... Now you want a few 12 year olds to attend E3 to "interview" the developers about porting to macs, and give them lecture about wineskin? Thats not going to happen... Ever.

EDIT: HTMINC Don't say a single word! You've got 669 posts, lets just leave it that way.
Actually they do, did you see any of E3 presentation?? If you are the host, you only see a huge army of glowing apples :)

#6 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

never heard of a forum community getting a booth... if someone on their own wanted to go and do interviews and reports, that would be cool.

#7 Digital404

Digital404

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThe Nexus Core
  • Graphics Card:The one that in my machine :)
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:All games that doesn't bored me to death.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

Well all I can say is this.. Start saving up because everyone is going to pay tax's soon.. who going to be a ceo here.
Time Paradox \/---- By 0(-----------)

#8 Demondays1

Demondays1

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUnder the Rainbowz!
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GT 320M, Intel HD 4000
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
  • I like to play:FPS, RPG, Strategy, Action, Horror Survival, and Adventure
Author

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

This is a good idea, I mean very few people here port games, most people are inactive and most people dont use macs.

#9 wMin17

wMin17

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

Lets think realistically.  This would never work out :(

#10 loco

loco

PortingTeam Founder

• Administrators
  • 1186 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Realistically, there's no reason it shouldn't work. As hmtinc said, you don't need to be a copy to join in. If done professionally, and if prepared and rehearsed, this could get us an enormous boost in attention in terms of people interested in the idea of porting, many of which could be people who never thought of bringing their product to Macs due to the hassle behind it. But yes, this would need to be well planned out, would need a bit of funding, and more importantly, we would need a handful of adults to represent us.

Follow us on facebook:

#11 Jman3350

Jman3350

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB w/ Intel HD 4000 384MB (GTX 670 2GB on Hackintosh)
  • I like to play:http://steamcommunity.com/id/jman3350/games/?tab=all
    If you have any suggestions, let me know :D

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

Just a side note, you have to be from an established online news thing or news company to go to E3. You also have to be over 18. My dad used to run a mac news/info site and he's planning on starting that up again, so I hope that since it does tech things and mac news and stuff, maybe I could go to E3 :D
Posted Image

#12 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

View PostJman3350, on 16 June 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

Just a side note, you have to be from an established online news thing or news company to go to E3. You also have to be over 18. My dad used to run a mac news/info site and he's planning on starting that up again, so I hope that since it does tech things and mac news and stuff, maybe I could go to E3 :D
could I go since I own a computer game company even though no games out yet?  :-P

#13 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

View Postdoh123, on 16 June 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

could I go since I own a computer game company even though no games out yet?  :-P
This could be considered since doh123 is probably the best candidate on the forums to go to e3 cause she created
Wineskin.  Now we just need a presentation , letters , proof of doh123 company , and stuff :)

Oh doh123 if you really are considering this , you do know that you would have to arrange someway go getting to LA .

If doh123 is willing to go on behalf of the porting team , this might just work because doh123 owns a gaming company :)
--
HM

#14 Jman3350

Jman3350

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB w/ Intel HD 4000 384MB (GTX 670 2GB on Hackintosh)

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

View Postdoh123, on 16 June 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

Probably, but I would only see this working as a publisher/developer, and you would have to go as a exhibitor to show off your game. If you own a game company that writes gaming news/reviews (like IGN) you could apply for a free media badge.

By the way, even though I'll probably sound ignorant, whats the name of the company? :P
Posted Image

#15 Jman3350

Jman3350

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:49 AM

View Posthmtinc, on 16 June 2012 - 03:15 AM, said:

This could be considered since doh123 is probably the best candidate on the forums to go to e3 cause she created
Wineskin.  Now we just need a presentation , letters , proof of doh123 company , and stuff :)

Oh doh123 if you really are considering this , you do know that you would have to arrange someway go getting to LA .

If doh123 is willing to go on behalf of the porting team , this might just work because doh123 owns a gaming company :)

Sorry for the double post, forgot to multiquote

But I wasn't saying I should go on behalf of porting team XD.
I was saying maybe I could go later, once I hit 18 to just see and report :P

btw 69 posts ftw.
Posted Image

#16 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

uhhh... yeah i gotta go more public (personally) to name the company and stuff, but its only been official a short time and starting a business and being the sole employee/owner and trying to make some stuff i want, plus work another full time job to also pay the bills, its all a bit of a chore right now.  I am going to try to shoot for some simple fun games first, just to see if I can at least get a little bit of income, but this is all really separate from porting or Wineskin, because I just want to make some cool games, not really port them... I'll make stuff cross platform from the beginning though.  The big ideas I have for games I just cannot do on my own, so I have to work on building things up to get the money I'd need to hire the employees I need and stuff... so its nothing anyone should worry about right now.... unless someone out there want to join me and has like $500,000 lying around to invest  :-P  I figure for my bigger ideas, If I can get to a working demo level of them (which still costs money because I'm a sucky graphics artist), I can possible get some extra funding through something like Kickstarter, but thats really a long shot for a startup.

#17 Jman3350

Jman3350

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

View Postdoh123, on 16 June 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

uhhh... yeah i gotta go more public (personally) to name the company and stuff, but its only been official a short time and starting a business and being the sole employee/owner and trying to make some stuff i want, plus work another full time job to also pay the bills, its all a bit of a chore right now.  I am going to try to shoot for some simple fun games first, just to see if I can at least get a little bit of income, but this is all really separate from porting or Wineskin, because I just want to make some cool games, not really port them... I'll make stuff cross platform from the beginning though.  The big ideas I have for games I just cannot do on my own, so I have to work on building things up to get the money I'd need to hire the employees I need and stuff... so its nothing anyone should worry about right now.

*ruins 69 posts*

I'll totally work for you XD
Posted Image

#18 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

i have no money  :-(  If I could get money, I'd quit my job and start up this business full time and have employees and make some cool games... but It takes money to start.  Getting business loans don't help, since they want to give you very little, and want you to start paying back right away, and not 18 months later when a game is done and starts selling.

#19 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

View Postdoh123, on 16 June 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

i have no money  :-(  If I could get money, I'd quit my job and start up this business full time and have employees and make some cool games... but It takes money to start.  Getting business loans don't help, since they want to give you very little, and want you to start paying back right away, and not 18 months later when a game is done and starts selling.
Thats why you have the Internet :D
Why don't you just create a webpage for your game and  look for people who are willing to help with your game ( i.e. , Graphics) . Then when the game is ready to be sold then you can distribute the profits amount the volunteers who helped make the game .

But you should try out kick-starter . It doesn't need a demo or anything . A kick-starter idea just needs a super awesome idea . If its cool and interesting the people will fund you.
A good idea would be to start small and make  iPod and iPhone games and work your way up . :D

I will definitely buy the first game your company sells :D
--
HM

#20 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

The question is how would one attract attention in the first place? A low-end game would be fast and cheap to make, but the low end is so crowded and flooded with sub-par products, it is pretty hard to gain attention. The high.end on the other hand is unreasonably expensive, so I guess that's out of the question. In my opinion something inbetween, a game like Super Mario which doesn't require much in terms of production values but has still enough substance to stand out, would be a good start.

Aside from that there are also legal concerns. How about payment for people who work on it? What about idividual copyright? Are you going to put people under contract? How will profit be split?

Just putting up a website and seeing what happens is easy for a simple hobby project, but once money and law get involved things get more complicated.
Games I own that still need porting:
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Descent 3, Fallout, Space Rangers 2

#21 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

I doubt i'd get funding on kickstarter without proof I can do what I'm wanting to... sure I can describe everything out... I guess I could try to put together a campaign and stick it at $500,000 and then cry when it fails 2 months later with $10,000  :-P  If I was some industry veteran, maybe I could get more... but I don't want to be an "industry veteran". Sometimes its good to get new fresh ideas from the outside... I just don't want to put together a package and get funding from a publisher because I don't want games made by committee, i want to make games that the players actually want.  When designing new parts of the game still underdevelopment, I'd want to give details of what is being looked at and get ideas back.  I guess that can be a reward tier in Kickstarter, depending how much you pledge gives you extra control and saying rights in what is made.  Instead of having some publisher and game makers who makes games all the time having the say what goes in the game, let those who actually want to pay for the game have the say.

#22 Jman3350

Jman3350

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

View Postdoh123, on 16 June 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

I doubt i'd get funding on kickstarter without proof I can do what I'm wanting to... sure I can describe everything out... I guess I could try to put together a campaign and stick it at $500,000 and then cry when it fails 2 months later with $10,000  :-P  If I was some industry veteran, maybe I could get more... but I don't want to be an "industry veteran". Sometimes its good to get new fresh ideas from the outside... I just don't want to put together a package and get funding from a publisher because I don't want games made by committee, i want to make games that the players actually want.  When designing new parts of the game still underdevelopment, I'd want to give details of what is being looked at and get ideas back.  I guess that can be a reward tier in Kickstarter, depending how much you pledge gives you extra control and saying rights in what is made. Instead of having some publisher and game makers who makes games all the time having the say what goes in the game, let those who actually want to pay for the game have the say.

My god... This.is.amazing.

But what I think would work out is if you kind of said that you were involved with the Wineskin project. Many might not know what that is, but if they google it, they will see its amazingness.

How about I go to E3 (when I can) and just start yelling out your game company name and your online alias? :D

"HEY EVERYBODY! THERE IS THIS GREAT NEW COMPANY CALLED __________ STARTED BY DOH123! HERE IS BUSINESS CARDS! JUST TAKE THEM AND KICKSTART IT! THE GAMES WILL BE MADE BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE!"

^^^ Perfect Strategy.

Keeping it on topic by mentioning e3 ftw.
Posted Image

#23 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
Author

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

View Postdoh123, on 16 June 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

I doubt i'd get funding on kickstarter without proof I can do what I'm wanting to... sure I can describe everything out... I guess I could try to put together a campaign and stick it at $500,000 and then cry when it fails 2 months later with $10,000  :-P  If I was some industry veteran, maybe I could get more... but I don't want to be an "industry veteran". Sometimes its good to get new fresh ideas from the outside... I just don't want to put together a package and get funding from a publisher because I don't want games made by committee, i want to make games that the players actually want.  When designing new parts of the game still underdevelopment, I'd want to give details of what is being looked at and get ideas back.  I guess that can be a reward tier in Kickstarter, depending how much you pledge gives you extra control and saying rights in what is made.  Instead of having some publisher and game makers who makes games all the time having the say what goes in the game, let those who actually want to pay for the game have the say.
doh123 what engine do you plan on using ? Because if its a well known engine i am sure you could just make the core programming for the game and post it on the porting team as member project and anybody who wants to can download it and add to it :D
It could be the first game in a long time that the player decides how its played and how its played out. << that way you have to do minimal graphics. The game could be just be code  and one can download community made levels, graphics , and storyline :D  
So the game is different for everyone and a unique experience each time .
--
HM

#24 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:53 AM

Comes down to a lot of legal issues.  I don't really want to do this as a hobby, but as something that I can survive doing full time and hopefully have employees that can too.

I'm mainly looking at Unity since its powerful, well supported, reasonably priced, and runs on pretty much everything except Linux.

#25 cybershark

cybershark

Veteran Member

• Forum Moderators
  • 371 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

erm, doh123 do u mind if I made a seperate topic for you to stop the offtopic here? :P

otherwise interesting stuff you are discussing here. My dream is as well to start my own game company :D Only problem, I'm just a write and musican, so I need at least an coder and an graphic artist :/ graphic artists are really hard to find

Posted Image

#26 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

View Postdoh123, on 17 June 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

I'm mainly looking at Unity since its powerful, well supported, reasonably priced, and runs on pretty much everything except Linux.
Looks like someone hasn't been paying attention ;)

Unity 4 Linux standalone desktop preview

The most requested feature from our community has arrived! Port your standalone desktop indie game to Linux with Unity 4. Linux games are thriving even though the platform is comparatively underserved. The success of distribution initiatives, such as the Humble Indie Bundle and the Ubuntu Software Center, prove that Linux users are happy to pay for games. Linux standalone publishing will be available for all Unity Desktop users at no additional cost. Take your game to Linux, and an audience eager for high-quality entertainment.
http://unity3d.com/?linux
Games I own that still need porting:
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Descent 3, Fallout, Space Rangers 2

#27 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

i saw that the other day... its a preview, but looks like Linux support may be decent as time goes on... I didn't see that info release til the day after I posted that  :-P

#28 loco

loco

PortingTeam Founder

• Administrators
  • 1186 posts
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

doh123, check your PMs :)

View Postcybershark, on 17 June 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

Only problem, I'm just a write and musican, so I need at least an coder and an graphic artist :/ graphic artists are really hard to find
Musicians are important too, where do you think all this well known game music comes from? :)

Follow us on facebook:

#29 cybershark

cybershark

Veteran Member

• Forum Moderators
  • 371 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

View Postloco, on 21 June 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

doh123, check your PMs :)

Musicians are important too, where do you think all this well known game music comes from? :)

Yeah, you are right. But I still can't cake a game because I can't program and draw XD

Posted Image

#30 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

View Postcybershark, on 21 June 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

Yeah, you are right. But I still can't cake a game because I can't program and draw XD
its always a good time to learn!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users