3 replies to this topic

#1 rampancy

rampancy

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDenial.
  • Graphics Card:Intel GMA 950 (MacBook), Nvidia GeForce 320M (MacBook Air)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
  • I like to play:FPS, RPGs, TBS, RTS, Adventure Games, Classic and Indie/Retro Games

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

Sorry for the n00bish question, but I've seen several engines available on the Wineskin Winery that have the option "No XInput2". What are they for, what do they do, and why would one use them? From some poking around on Google that I've done, it seems to be tied into input device conflicts between games and the Xserver in WINE but beyond that, it's unclear to me.

#2 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
Author

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

View Postrampancy, on 22 June 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

Sorry for the n00bish question, but I've seen several engines available on the Wineskin Winery that have the option "No XInput2". What are they for, what do they do, and why would one use them? From some poking around on Google that I've done, it seems to be tied into input device conflicts between games and the Xserver in WINE but beyond that, it's unclear to me.

Xinput2 doesn't work well on OSX; but it does on linux. Standard wine builds does include Xinput2, but xi2 does sometimes ruin mouse in some games on OSX. Alos the lack of xi2 makes several games like ME-series, Risen, Assassins Creed and so on not make the mouse turn 360°, thus you need a custom patch to make it work.

If you have a port with mouse confined to only parts of the screen, or characters spinning wildly in game, then it's most likely a xi2 bug and you'll be better off with a no-xi2 build

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#3 wMin17

wMin17

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

View Postcluthz, on 22 June 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

Xinput2 doesn't work well on OSX; but it does on linux. Standard wine builds does include Xinput2, but xi2 does sometimes ruin mouse in some games on OSX. Alos the lack of xi2 makes several games like ME-series, Risen, Assassins Creed and so on not make the mouse turn 360°, thus you need a custom patch to make it work.

If you have a port with mouse confined to only parts of the screen, or characters spinning wildly in game, then it's most likely a xi2 bug and you'll be better off with a no-xi2 build

Or just use Thanoulas's custom Raw engine.  It helped me ALOT on the porting of Just Cause :)

#4 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
Author

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostwMin17, on 23 June 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

Or just use Thanoulas's custom Raw engine.  It helped me ALOT on the porting of Just Cause :)

The engine is awesome, but if you only need xi2 disabled, then you should choose another engine.
The raw patch and warp patch in thanoulas engine also make the mouse tracking slightly less accurate (game feels a little bit laggy, even when it ain't).

There is a reason why raw input isn't default in wine, because even if it does wonders for some games, it can make others less good.

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users