• Create Account

[Article] WiP - Sanctum Mac Beta, more UDK for Mac!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
Author

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Posted Image

Sanctum Mac Beta, more UDK for Mac!

Posted Image

It's now about 9 months since Unreal Development Kit (UDK) was released with support for building games for Mac. This should be paving the way for easier and better native porting of Unreal Engine 3 (UE3) games to the Mac platform. For those of you unfamiliar with UE3, if you own a few major games, I'm pretty sure that you own at least one UE3 game, because the list is extensive: Borderlands, Mass Effect 1-2-3, Batman AA-AC, DC Universe, Gears of War 1-2-3, Dungeon Defenders, Medal of Honor (2010), Spec Ops: The Line, and many more.

Read on for more info

As far as I know, Dungeon Defenders was the first game available for Mac OS built on UDK, and was available in beta form less than 6 months after UDK was announced for Mac. The birth of the mac version of DunDef was rough, with quite a buggy client with performance issues, but after about a month on open beta on steam the game has at least for me became very stable and one of the better mac ports of games available.

When I saw UDK released I was thinking about which games would be available for Mac, and my first bet was Mass Effect 3. It was a big title, it was UE3 built and EA has shown some interests in the Mac market with Cider ports of games like Dragon Age 1 and 2. Surely with UDK available for mac this should be piece of cake? This was not the case, EA forgot about the Mac and ME3 was announced as PC, PS3 and XBOX360 compatible.

So far it seems that the only one caring for the Mac market are the small Indie developers.
When I heard Trendyent was gonna make a native Mac client for DunDef I was very exited, and a bit skeptical. Trendyent is not really one of the big guys, and how much resources could they spend on a Mac version? After playing the game for awhile (I've logged about 11 hours), I'm pretty impressed! The port is really good!

The second release was even more unexpected, Coffee Stain Studios is releasing Sanctum for Mac.

Sanctum is a First person shooter - tower defense game, with up to four player co-op, much like DunDef. Where DunDef has old school weaponry like ballistas and  crossbow, Sanctum has gatling lasers and sniper rifles.

I'm not gonna review the game, because there are plenty of reviews online:
http://www.bit-tech....anctum-review/1
http://www.gamespot....review-2532865/

The port, however still in beta, is pretty impressive so far.
Keep in mind I have only played this for a few hours (Mac beta), but I've plyed some Sanctum before so I already know the game somewhat.
The game is very customizable, with adjustable graphics and FoV (!). It seems that details is resetting to low on my system after quitting the game, but other than that it seems fine, except maybe Bloom, which I feel is a bit too "bloomy".

The performance is quite good, and when not recording is going on it's running at 60 FPS or close to 60 on my NVidia GTX 285.
Performance drops quite a bit when recording and for some reason the recording doesn't seem so fluid (like 20 -25 fps) even though the game feels ok to play while recording. This might be because I have a crappy dual core CPU and not a modern quad core.

I'm pretty impressed by Trendyent and Coffee Stain Studios, which are such small companies and manage to release native Mac games.
In 2011 Coffee Stain had 10 employees, and companies with hundreds of employees (EA + Bethesda = lazy bums) do not manage to put out a Mac port, even tho they use the same game engine.

Let's hope we'll see more developers do the same, when the 10 people at Coffee Stain Manages to make a Mac port, then others should be able too!

The Coffe Stain Studios team is also very active on twitter and Anton Westbergh is answering all your questions on twitter, go give him a thumbs up!

Sanctum is available on Steam for $9.99, €9.99 or £6.99

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still WiP, I wan't some feedback before it goes to the front page.

Feel free to comment and make corrections before it gets posted!

-cluthz

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#2 Reboot

Reboot

I am Darkstar

• Database Moderators
  • 2381 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Author

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

60 FPS on GTX 285? Nice!

Great article!

Posted Image

~ ~ ~ Hackintosh Spec ~ ~ ~

Intel Core i5-3570K 4.20GHz -- Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB DDR3 1600MHz -- Nvidia EVGA GTX 980 4GB VRAM GDDR5 SC

#3 hmtinc

hmtinc

Someone

• Members
  • 1315 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX 760 (2048mb)
    Intel HD 4000 (512mb)
    Nvidia geforce 9400 (264mb)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:Games
Author

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

I wonder how the game will run on 9400 :D

great article and just in time . The front page has been dead for a while now.
although i think you should make the banner a bit more smaller
--
HM

#4 Blinx 007

Blinx 007

Master Member

• Members
  • 1351 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nivida
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:FPS RPG 3rd Person & Horror Games

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

60FPS on My Mac Also

Is there anymore game betas on steam for mac should let us know right away ^_^

#5 Reboot

Reboot

I am Darkstar

• Database Moderators
  • 2381 posts
Author

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

Lolwut? it's impossible. GT 265MB will get 20 fps only. GTX 1GB do can.

Posted Image

Intel Core i5-3570K 4.20GHz -- Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB DDR3 1600MHz -- Nvidia EVGA GTX 980 4GB VRAM GDDR5 SC

#6 DanIsTheMan

DanIsTheMan

Champion Member

• Members
  • 524 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel IRIS Graphics

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

This is "60FPS On Low Settings" to blinxfrost ----> http://www.youtube.c...DA&feature=plcp

Posted Image

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

#7 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
Author

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

View PostDanIsTheMan, on 30 July 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

This is "60FPS On Low Settings" to blinxfrost ----> http://www.youtube.c...DA&feature=plcp

:( On the rooftops there was like 1-3 fps :(

If you look on the Sanctum video above, thats like 25-30 fps, which in my eyes are a bit lagging.

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

#8 ValkTuna

ValkTuna

Imitator, Intimidator, Stimulator, Simulator of Data, Eliminator

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationIn the deep dark depths of the earth... :P
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 320M 256MB.
  • I like to play:SMITE, LoL, and other games that catch my attention. Usually a wide range of genres.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Wow, blinx, you should speak more than you type.

PS. Cluthz, you make it sound as if you can use UDK as a native app on the mac, when really all it is able to provide for the mac is to allow the building of games for it. Last I checked there was no UDK for mac unless you ported it or something.
Posted Image
Main banner thanks to RazorPro

I don't have anything else to say, I guess.

#9 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
Author

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostSouthTuna, on 31 July 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Wow, blinx, you should speak more than you type.

PS. Cluthz, you make it sound as if you can use UDK as a native app on the mac, when really all it is able to provide for the mac is to allow the building of games for it. Last I checked there was no UDK for mac unless you ported it or something.

For the gamer it doesn't matter what platform udk is running on as it is for the developers only. But, you are totally correct that UDK itself only runs on windows and can build games for a various of platforms, including Mac OSX, windows, xbox, ps, iOS etc...

I did update it a bit to make sure people doesn't get confused

#10 njnick3

njnick3

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • I like to play:RPG, Single-Player
Author

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:37 AM

wow... just wow.....

Dear blinx, listen to south tuna more and just record audio clips of whatever you may type so we can understand it.
---------
Cluthz I think that EA didn't port ME3 to mac because they would have to port origin to mac.
They looked at the challenge and said "Eh, move oh"
me

#11 njnick3

njnick3

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • I like to play:RPG, Single-Player
Author

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

I just tried it, good port, not so great game.. there are no multiplayer games going on, I don't think that pc gamers can play with mac beta players yet (they should test that!)
me

#12 Reboot

Reboot

I am Darkstar

• Database Moderators
  • 2381 posts
Author

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

Btw, cluthz, Did you see new changelog? They added cross platform multiplayer. http://www.sanctumga...8242642573a158b

Posted Image

#13 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2GB
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

This game is not working for me at all.. I just get a blank OS X window with titlebar full screen and then I have to force quit it.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
-- Alex Delarge, A Clockwork Orange
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#14 Reboot

Reboot

I am Darkstar

• Database Moderators
  • 2381 posts
Author

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

http://www.facebook....68549725&type=1 It's now SteamPlay! http://store.steampo....com/news/8626/

Posted Image

#15 KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Need a title

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • LocationWhere I am is where I be
  • Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, also Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:Everything that's fun
Author

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

damn when did I miss this
anyway this is a really good article, I'll fix it up a little bit and have dev send it off to the front page!
Good job cluthz!

Posted Image

blinxfrost said:

in game my guy spins out of control only way i can control is arrow keys my hands are to nubby to reach them and shot

View my ports! <--- Orcs Must Die, Payday, Fallout, I Wanna Be The Guy, and more!

How to use a Wineskin wrapper!

#16 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
Author

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostKGameLover1, on 04 September 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

damn when did I miss this
anyway this is a really good article, I'll fix it up a little bit and have dev send it off to the front page!
Good job cluthz!

Oh, i totally forgot about this too. I went on holiday just after I wrote it, and after I came back I've had  had like over 30 notifications a day and a bunch of messages about guild wars...
(game opened the 28th of August, and now there are 35 pages with comments already .. lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users