61 replies to this topic

#1 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

Posted Image

As some people already found out, all CrossOver (CX) Ports are currently not working in Snow Leopard.
Typical behavior: The app will launch, the Icon will bounce a few times in the Dock, then it quits.

Responsible for this problem is Apple's new X11 Window System implementation in Snow Leopard. A radical change on how the System talks with X11 is the problem, and there is currently no solution to that problem.
History proved that Apple likes to change Core System components without notifying developers and end users, so there is no surprise here.

Now a bit on how X11 worked for the end user:
(I'll try to explain it for users who don't know X11 very well, so i'll reword some things a bit here to make it easier...)

(from wikipedia)

The X Window System (commonly X or X11) is a computer software system and network protocol that provides a graphical user interface (GUI) for networked computers, and was initially developed as part of Project Athena. It implements the X display protocol and provides windowing on raster graphics (bitmap) computer displays and manages keyboard and pointing device control functions. In its standard distribution, it is a complete, albeit simple, display and human interface solution, but also delivers a standard toolkit and protocol stack for building graphical user interfaces on most Unix-like operating systems...

Now why is this software necessary?
The X11 Window System is necessary for Applications that were originally developed on another platform.
WINE is the code translation software that CrossOver builds upon, and this software needs the X11 Window System to work.

Why not use Apple's native Carbon and Cocoa frameworks?
Software that originally came from another platform needs massive amounts of code-rewrite to work on another platform, and to make things easier for developers that code apps for different Operating Systems the X11 Window System was invented. No need to radically rewrite your app for native frameworks, just add some code to let it run in the universal X11 Window System; to make it possible to let it run on another platform.

Why do Games ported with Cider work?
Cider brings it's own heavily modified and natively compiled WINE frameworks into the Game, and doesn't rely on System Software.
In every Cider Wrapper there are hundreds of frameworks that mostly do what X11 does for the Games/Apps ported with CX.

Why can't we use Cider instead of CrossOver?
Cider mostly likes the type of Games with specific engines it was designed for, and it's not useful for anything else.
The CX Wrapper is basically a jack-of-all-trades, meaning it almost can do anything WINE can.

Apple's core X11 is somewhat old and primitive in a sense, so another Group wanted to make the X11 Window System more advanced for other applications and other uses.
The XQuartz Group which develops the modified X11 (that builds upon Apples own X11 version) is steadily releasing its own X11/XQuartz updates that improve and add new features and compatibility for Linux software like WINE

The XQuartz Group already has a Roadmap for a Snow Leopard compatible X11, but the release date is unknown for now.
http://xquartz.macos...rg/trac/roadmap

Now what currently our options are:
-The CodeWeavers Team fixed this launcher bug in their recent build of CrossOver 8, but the CX Wrapper that you'll find here doesn't have this bug fixed.
Fixing this Bug would require developer level knowledge of the CrossOver Software (which we don't have), and this wouldn't help all the already ported Games. (since every Game needs to be updated with the new Wrapper)
-The XQuartz Group releases a backwards compatible X11 update that addresses this Situation, and all Ports work with Snow Leopard again.

So there is currently no solution for Snow Leopard users, either you want Apple's new Cat or you'll he happy with the 'old' Leopard and you're able to run all Ported CX Games.
Alternatively, you can get CrossOver 8 (that works with SL) and install these Games and Applications yourself for the time being, until this situation is has a solution.

But:
The development of new Software is usually fast, so there should be an answer to this problem after Snow Leopard officially arrives and more users have the option to check out what the fuss is all about.  :D

So, that's it from me and i hope this explains the Snow Leopard situation; and naturally this is open for discussions.

stay sharp
zero

thedoctor45 helped us with a temporary fix:

A temporary fix for Snow Leopard until a proper updated wrapper has been released:

Good news people, I just found a way to integrate the CX launcher into the wrapper itself.
This means if you have thinned out your quartz-wm on 10.6, you can now run your CX ports just like you did back in 10.5.  ;)

Here are the steps to get it working (assuming that you haven't thinned out your quartz-wm file yet):

1. open Terminal.app and paste the following code into the shell window:
cd /usr/bin
sudo mv quartz-wm quartz-wm.bak
sudo lipo -thin i386 quartz-wm.bak -output quartz-wm

2. download ScriptEditor from here: http://www.mediafire...php?mmuxdilymmu

3. start it and paste this code into the window:
do shell script "VERSIONER_PERL_PREFER_32_BIT=yes /Applications/CrossOver\\ Wrapper.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver\\ Chromium"

4. adapt the path to the binary file so that it matches with the path of the game wrapper you want to use it with! Drop the binary into a terminal window to see its full unix path (beware the double-backslashes!)
IMPORTANT: the launcher script is location-dependant, this means it ONLY works with the app path that you input above - as soon as you move or rename the wrapper, it will fail to launch!

5. save the script as an Application-Bundle. (leave additional options unchecked!)

6. open up the bundle by right-clicking on it and selecting "show package contents" from the menu and place the "applet" binary file from /Contents/MacOS/ into the CX Wrappers /Contents/MacOS/ directory.

7. put all the resource files from the applets /resource/ dir into the resource folder of the CX wrapper

8. open the info.plist of the wrapper and change the bundle executable from "CrossOver Chromium" to "applet"

9. launch your game!

F***ING IMPORTANT!: Rename or move the Wrapper.app before you do all this or otherwise the OSX LaunchServices will ignore the new bundle executable value because it still has the old one in its cache and it won't work!

hope this works for all of you.

keep the dream alive!
thedoctor45   :D
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#2 MoDFoX

MoDFoX

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512MB / Intel HD Graphics 288MB
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:44 AM

I'm not sure if you mean it won't work because they have a new X11 (greater than 2.3 etc) but there is a website with all sorts of x11 builds.

http://xquartz.macos...c/wiki/X112.2.3
This is the most recent before hitting 2.3 (2.4 is out now, maybe that's Snow Leopard?)

To install I'd just kill x11 and install this one.

#3 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

MoDFoX said:

I (2.4 is out now, maybe that's Snow Leopard?)

To install I'd just kill x11 and install this one.
No 2.4 is not the cure we need. :-)
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#4 iveseenitall

iveseenitall

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:19 PM

thanks for the info, i guess codeweavers will find a solution (may the problem occur on crossover as well...?)
Noob Porter

#5 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

iveseenitall said:

thanks for the info, i guess codeweavers will find a solution (may the problem occur on crossover as well...?)
Crossover 8.x works already. (Currently using it on SL build 10A432)
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#6 Cor89

Cor89

Advanced Member

• Donators
  • 92 posts
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:15 AM

nice Q&A thanks for the share.

#7 thedoc

thedoc

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 1,311 posts
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 9600M GT - 512 MB RAM
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
  • I like to play:FPS, RPG, Racing

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:56 PM

A temporary fix for Snow Leopard until a proper updated wrapper has been released:

Good news people, I just found a way to integrate the CX launcher into the wrapper itself.
This means if you have thinned out your quartz-wm on 10.6, you can now run your CX ports just like you did back in 10.5.  ;)

Here are the steps to get it working (assuming that you haven't thinned out your quartz-wm file yet):

1. open Terminal.app and paste the following code into the shell window:
cd /usr/bin
sudo mv quartz-wm quartz-wm.bak
sudo lipo -thin i386 quartz-wm.bak -output quartz-wm

2. download ScriptEditor from here: http://www.mediafire...php?mmuxdilymmu

3. start it and paste this code into the window:
do shell script "VERSIONER_PERL_PREFER_32_BIT=yes /Applications/CrossOver\\ Wrapper.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver\\ Chromium"

4. adapt the path to the binary file so that it matches with the path of the game wrapper you want to use it with! Drop the binary into a terminal window to see its full unix path (beware the double-backslashes!)
IMPORTANT: the launcher script is location-dependant, this means it ONLY works with the app path that you input above - as soon as you move or rename the wrapper, it will fail to launch!

5. save the script as an Application-Bundle. (leave additional options unchecked!)

6. open up the bundle by right-clicking on it and selecting "show package contents" from the menu and place the "applet" binary file from /Contents/MacOS/ into the CX Wrappers /Contents/MacOS/ directory.

7. put all the resource files from the applets /resource/ dir into the resource folder of the CX wrapper

8. open the info.plist of the wrapper and change the bundle executable from "CrossOver Chromium" to "applet"

9. launch your game!

F***ING IMPORTANT!: Rename or move the Wrapper.app before you do all this or otherwise the OSX LaunchServices will ignore the new bundle executable value because it still has the old one in its cache and it won't work!

hope this works for all of you.

keep the dream alive!
thedoctor45   :D
Posted Image

Check out my Porting Blog @ Doc's Office

#8 aurora

aurora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:19 AM

I'm really confused. Do I have to have CrossOver installed? I'm just trying to get zeroPSX to work but I get stuck at the script editing step, because it seems like it's wanting me to have CrossOver installed by using "/Applications/CrossOver\\" in the path, and then I can't find this either when I look in the zeroPSX.app package: /Contents/MacOS/CrossOver\\ Chromium

Surely I am doing something very wrong. Any advice?

#9 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:20 AM

new Crossover based ports that work in 10.6 can be made using the new project I started called CXSkin ... its a Wineskin like Crossover based wrapper, I didnt use Chromium as a base so it doesn't have the 10.6 issue....

this is only good for new ports or ones people convert over... not a fix for old ones.

#10 Taeki

Taeki

Currently on vacation

• Members
  • 568 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Graphics Card:ATi 4850 (512MB)

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

Thank you, doc.
Hope this fix will work  :?

#11 mknox

mknox

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationThe unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:44 AM

instead of the applescript mentioned above you could also use the one i posted over at insanlymac:
set desktoppath to "/"
set spotlightquery to "\"kMDItemFSName == 'CX Pro Wrapper 8.0.app\""
set command to "mdfind -onlyin " & desktoppath & " " & spotlightquery
set founditems to paragraphs of (do shell script command)
set the input to the result as Unicode text
set the result to ""
set nextPart to ""
on urlToPOSIXPath(theURL)
	return do shell script "python -c \"import urllib, urlparse, sys; print urllib.unquote(urlparse.urlparse(sys.argv[1])[2])\" " & quoted form of theURL
end urlToPOSIXPath
to searchReplace(thisText, searchTerm, replacement)
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to searchTerm
	set thisText to thisText's text items
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to replacement
	set thisText to "" & thisText
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {""}
	return thisText
end searchReplace
set the_url to input
set value to searchReplace(urlToPOSIXPath(the_url), "/Macintosh HD", "")
set new_value to searchReplace(value, " ", "\\ ")
set nextPart to the result
do shell script ("VERSIONER_PERL_PREFER_32_BIT=yes " & nextPart & "/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver\\ Chromium") as Unicode text

replacing the "CX Pro Wrapper 8.0.app" bit with the name of your wrapper.

This is better in my opinion because it lets you move the game into a different location without changing the applescript.
Posted Image

#12 Guest_tomy66_*

Guest_tomy66_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

Then go, I will have to be to wait until it finds a robust solution for
back to playing my favorite games.

#13 alvoc

alvoc

Advanced Porter

• Donators
  • 115 posts
  • Graphics Card:Ati HD5870

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:12 PM

Well, i hope this problem 'll be able to be resolved quickly, I 'm not on 10.6 but I leave my Cx ports pending until someone find a solution for that.

#14 blueman56

blueman56

Veteran Member

• Donators
  • 342 posts
  • Graphics Card:A Portable One!
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

Any further develoments on this? Is there a way to make the CX wrapper games work in 10.6? Can we put them in a CXS wrapper or wine wrapper, or is it more complicated then that?

#15 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
Author

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

blueman56 said:

Any further develoments on this? Is there a way to make the CX wrapper games work in 10.6? Can we put them in a CXS wrapper or wine wrapper, or is it more complicated then that?

Basically we need to throw the Game files and the registries into the new CXS and WineSkin Wrappers, that's it.
But that also means we have a lot of work before us, because of the huge amount of CX Ports we have.
I'm currently refreshing the Emulator Ports, then come the Arcade Ports.
I know that the doc isn't doing the same, because the CXS Wrapper doesn't work with his mac (Tiger OS),
and a lot of other users are still using the CX Wrapper.
Mixed results here...
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#16 blueman56

blueman56

Veteran Member

• Donators
  • 342 posts
  • Graphics Card:A Portable One!
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

Understandable, i was thinking about it last night, and any new mac owner who arrives here won't be able to play the majority.

I was just wondering, and agree, there are loads of CX ports, its no small task. Glad your doing the arcade ports though, i'm getting a new mac and i wanted to take sonic with me lol!!! :D

Keep up the great work, all very much appricated!

#17 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:30 AM

devilhunter said:

blueman56 said:

Basically we need to throw the Game files and the registries into the new CXS and WineSkin Wrappers, that's it.
But that also means we have a lot of work before us, because of the huge amount of CX Ports we have.
I'm currently refreshing the Emulator Ports, then come the Arcade Ports.
I know that the doc isn't doing the same, because the CXS Wrapper doesn't work with his mac (Tiger OS),
and a lot of other users are still using the CX Wrapper.
Mixed results here...

I'm working on getting a 10.4 hackintosh going on VMware... gonna try to make Wineskin and CXSkin all 10.4+

#18 spencer1375

spencer1375

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:05 AM

this sucks

#19 Pluto999

Pluto999

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:53 AM

Is it a chance that future XQuartz X11 2.4.1 will solve this problem?
Intel iMac 2.4 GHz, ATI HD2600 256 MB, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.6.5
Power Mac G5 2x1,8 GHz, GeForce FX 5200, 1.5 GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11

#20 amartinsons

amartinsons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:14 AM

Wow, that helps a lots. I knew there were changes in SL but this is a great way around them.

#21 DEAD_USER

DEAD_USER

Champion Member

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:29 AM

amartinsons said:

Wow, that helps a lots. I knew there were changes in SL but this is a great way around them.

No it's a horrible way and people should use it. Instead update the wrappers to CXSkin or CXZ, takes 5 minutes and works without annoying workarounds like this.

#22 krimb1

krimb1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:29 AM

mknox said:

instead of the applescript mentioned above you could also use the one i posted over at insanlymac:
set desktoppath to "/"
set the result to ""
set nextPart to ""
	return do shell script "python -c \"import urllib, urlparse, sys; print urllib.unquote(urlparse.urlparse(sys.argv[1])[2])\" " & quoted form of theURL
end urlToPOSIXPath
	return thisText
end searchReplace
set the_url to input
do shell script ("VERSIONER_PERL_PREFER_32_BIT=yes " & nextPart & "/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver\\ Chromium") as Unicode text

This is better in my opinion because it lets you move the game into a different location without changing the applescript.

Thanks very much for the script!

One question though: does this require quartz-wm to be "thinned out" as well like thedoctor's workaround? I think it does, since it's just a launcher script, but I just wanted to double check. :)

#23 sabbaloko

sabbaloko

Novice Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

snow leopard is faster, a better choice for only 40$ to upgrade

#24 mknox

mknox

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationThe unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:50 AM

krimb1 said:

mknox said:

set desktoppath to "/"
set the result to ""
set nextPart to ""
end urlToPOSIXPath
	return thisText
end searchReplace
set the_url to input

Thanks very much for the script!

One question though: does this require quartz-wm to be "thinned out" as well like thedoctor's workaround? I think it does, since it's just a launcher script, but I just wanted to double check. :)

yes it does
Posted Image

#25 Guest_sinnerchrno_*

Guest_sinnerchrno_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

Wow...luckily i read this, i was thinking about updating to SL too...maybe i should wait a while.

#26 Dreadreaver

Dreadreaver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

still no further improvement? :S
any like ... *easy* tutorials on how-to patch a CX-Game to work on SL? I mean like create new CXS-Wrapper and stuff but for beginners (like me :P)  just wanna play audiosurf already :/

#27 Beerboy

Beerboy

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

Dreadreaver said:

still no further improvement? :S
any like ... *easy* tutorials on how-to patch a CX-Game to work on SL? I mean like create new CXS-Wrapper and stuff but for beginners (like me :P)  just wanna play audiosurf already :/

I was wondering the same thing...

#28 Guest_SHADO_*

Guest_SHADO_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

Dam that sucks

#29 Guest_Ulahovemac_*

Guest_Ulahovemac_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:42 AM

Ah... I just upgraded last week... should've read this thread earlier.

#30 Guest_clandestin0_*

Guest_clandestin0_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:50 AM

great post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users