17 replies to this topic

#1 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GTX780 GHz Edition
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
Author

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

I just tested the new origin client for mac.
I'll just let this this tiny little video show what i mean...

84% CPU usage and non-responsive scrolling in a Core i5 machine? Serious?
How is it possible to make this broken software. My cpu temp went from around 40°C before starting Origin, and after scrolling up and down thru my games, I peaked 72°C!

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

How to port Steam games .... My Youtube Porting videos ... Play my RPG

#2 GameGuy

GameGuy

Legendary Member

• Members
  • 2127 posts
  • LocationCanada...Eh
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 9400m 256mb
    ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    MSI N670GTX PW/OCE 2GB SLI
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG, Racing, and of course FPS

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Its EA this is very understandable. You think they actually put time into this...who knows maybe origin will have paid dlc now so it works.

Posted Image
Macbook Pro: Intel C2D 2.53ghz, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 9400m 256MB

Hackintosh: Intel i5-3570k, 16GB Ram, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, MSI GTX 670 Power Edition SLI
If my post helped you hit the like button :)

#3 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
Author

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

But really, my Mac IIsi could scroll thru a page with a few small pictures with no lag, and that had 8MB RAM and a 20MHz Single Core CPU...

[HackPro i7-4790K, 3x SSD + 5TB HDD • 16GB RAM • NVidia GTX 780 GHz Edition • OSX 10.10] . [MacBookAir 13 1.7GHz • Intel HD 3000 • OSX 10.9.5]

#4 GameGuy

GameGuy

Legendary Member

• Members
  • 2127 posts
  • LocationCanada...Eh
  • Graphics Card:nVidia 9400m 256mb
    ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    MSI N670GTX PW/OCE 2GB SLI
  • I like to play:RPG, Racing, and of course FPS

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Its has to be a beta because origin on windows when it came out was also cpu hungry and crashed a lot. Probably just have to spam support tickets and it will get "fixed".

Posted Image
Macbook Pro: Intel C2D 2.53ghz, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 9400m 256MB

Hackintosh: Intel i5-3570k, 16GB Ram, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, MSI GTX 670 Power Edition SLI
If my post helped you hit the like button :)

#5 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
Author

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostGameGuy, on 08 February 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Its has to be a beta because origin on windows when it came out was also cpu hungry and crashed a lot. Probably just have to spam support tickets and it will get "fixed".

The beta did end last week, this is apparently the first stable release.
To be fair it seems it doesn't use much power in background, but it's not good that it heats up like that.
It doesn't seem it gives mac versions of previous bought PC titles.
Dragon Age Origins is still not for mac, however DA2 is, although I bought that on retail DVD which was mac compatible.
I've yet to try adding my Sims 3 to it, maybe it will be for both, who knows.

#6 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
Author

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

One good news so far.

If you own Sims on steam (which is windows only) you can register the game and get the mac version on origin!
So not everything is bad :)

#7 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2GB
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I didn't notice any slow scrolling or other such sluggishness with Origin here.

On the other hand there isn't much there that I want. Even Feral's catalog I don't want from there because I have already purchased all the titles from them I want direct from them.

Even some EA published PC games I already have in Steam such as Crysis and Alice Madness Returns.

I don't see me buying anything from it or using it much unless they can come up with something I am interested in that I can't get elsewhere. So to me at the moment Origin is just another useless alternative digital distribution store.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
-- Alex Delarge, A Clockwork Orange
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#8 cluthz

cluthz

Senior Hall monitor!

• Super Forum Moderators
  • 2836 posts
  • LocationNorway
Author

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostTetsu, on 09 February 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

I didn't notice any slow scrolling or other such sluggishness with Origin here.

On the other hand there isn't much there that I want. Even Feral's catalog I don't want from there because I have already purchased all the titles from them I want direct from them.

Even some EA published PC games I already have in Steam such as Crysis and Alice Madness Returns.

I don't see me buying anything from it or using it much unless they can come up with something I am interested in that I can't get elsewhere. So to me at the moment Origin is just another useless alternative digital distribution store.

I feel the same. I'm already using one, steam, which I've learned to live with, so I don't really need another one.
The good thing is that you might get a free Mac copy of a PC game you already own.

The good thing is that we might get more mac games that way, as it seems EA is focusing on the Mac platform, but I rather see the games elsewhere. I've only tried Origin on my MBA, and it is indeed very sluggish, but steam was also very sluggish at launch.
It could be that the launcher is somehow graphic accelerated and the Intel HD3000 just cannot do it, and I'll report back later with how it works on my desktop.

I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get DA:O for Mac on Origin, but atleast I got The Sims :P

I've never bought any games on Origin, but they needed it for the physical copies (SWTOR, ME2 and ME3) the rest is games I've added from steam, to have a second backup (it's free).

#9 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, at the moment it seems to me that most of the value there is in future potential of bringing more games that may not have come to the Mac otherwise (officially that is). They do have some stuff in the works like frostbite engine for Mac and their new Sim City which is said to be native and have cross platform multiplayer.

If they would bring the Mass Effect games and some of the rest of their catalog of games that they published that would be good.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#10 NSObject

NSObject

Coder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:Torchlight 1&2, Skyrim, Oblivion, Minecraft, Left 4 Dead 1&2, Total Annihilation, Gnomoria

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Lol. Someone's not reusing cells. However, there aren't that many. I bet EA reinvented the wheel instead of using an NSCollectionView. The result is an ORLaggyAndHackyAsHellVIew/
Posted Image

#11 Sonickick120

Sonickick120

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • I like to play:Sonic, Devil May Cry, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

For now, Origin on mac Sucks, sticking to steam

#12 Dimillian

Dimillian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 Mo
  • I like to play:TES Games, Indie Games, More....

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostNSObject, on 09 February 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Lol. Someone's not reusing cells. However, there aren't that many. I bet EA reinvented the wheel instead of using an NSCollectionView. The result is an ORLaggyAndHackyAsHellVIew/

You know what ? It's in Air. Not native.  That why it suck. Cause even if you don't know how to code proper Cocoa app you can't get such a bad result.

#13 Sonickick120

Sonickick120

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • I like to play:Sonic, Devil May Cry, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

Origin is the Worst gaming software provider out there. They get ported to Mac, with only 2 or three games worth anything. And most of the games for Origin on mac, you can get at the MAC APP STORE. The only reason to download origin on mac is if you want to play Dragon Age 2.

#14 Dimillian

Dimillian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 Mo
  • I like to play:TES Games, Indie Games, More....

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostSonickick120, on 07 March 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

Origin is the Worst gaming software provider out there. They get ported to Mac, with only 2 or three games worth anything. And most of the games for Origin on mac, you can get at the MAC APP STORE. The only reason to download origin on mac is if you want to play Dragon Age 2.

And Sim City later this year

#15 Schuurdeur54

Schuurdeur54

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:HD4850

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

I really need help with the download swtor on mac,,,

i dont figure out how i can download it, and when i download it, i can just run it fine and do updates smoothly?

greetings

#16 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

SWTOR is not available for Mac unless I missed something.
--Kama

#17 BADBOY17

BADBOY17

Lurker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMoscow
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
  • I like to play:DayZ,
    Counter Strike GO,
    Call of Duty Black ops 1,2 Ghosts,
    Left 4 Dead 2

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

@Alexey1302
Holly moly, Origin is really bad i think the worst gaming software provider <_< Steam is the best ;)

#18 danielmoric

danielmoric

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Graphics Card:GeForce GTX 960
  • Operating System:Windows

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:37 PM

Origin for Mac, Steam for Mac? What a stupid applications. People behind it are either friended, lazy a s hell, or combination of both. I swear I would never buy any game from company which makes "fun" of customers with 2nd most used computer OS in the world. EA are too lazy to make a good Windows games too. They make sh*tty console games with stupid controlls for people that prefer inferior gaming experience (console brains) sitting in their monkey enclosure sh*t and even liking it and wasting their time, then make even more stupid, totally unoptimized port for PC/Mac and even want customers to pay for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users