26 replies to this topic

#1 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
  • LocationSpace/Virgo Supercluster/Milky Way/Orion Arm/Earth
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA 9800 GTX+
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Author

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:55 PM

As you know, our Blog and Forum were down a few weeks, and there were some issues that prevented the quick revival of the Site.
loco (the founder and Admin of the Site) had some serious issues in real Life and had no time to get the Site up again.
In various email exchanges and MSN chats between him, Korich and me we discussed about the future of the Forum and how loco would get things running again.
Things didn't work out as planned and loco told me last week that he would step down as our Admin and was practically leaving the Team.
loco suggested in a quick email that i should host the Site and manage it, so things started from scratch there for me.
I knew of a good alternative server from my hometown and decided to go with this one, since the hosting is not that expensive and i knew the guys who were running it.

Now what happened to our old Server?
Well at first we had a nice little VPS at hostgd. Was really nice at first until they nuked our entire space and databases. Repeatedly.
In search of another Host we went to a friend of loco, who was working at a server farm with some blazing fast machines.
I think you may have noticed the ludicrous Speed. So things went well for a time until loco's friend left that company and our site was still on it. Time went on for a month and then they switched our special account to the standard one and demanded the full fees that they normally require from normal subscribers; which cleared out our bank account really fast. And by really fast i mean 100$ per month fast.
So our savings from donations and ads got below zero with that kind of insane fees and loco quickly terminated our business with them in order to keep things from getting even more out of hand.
This came at an unfortunate time as loco had growing troubles in his life, and couldn't find the time to get things running again.

Some weeks had gone past with the occasional email transfer on how the status was, and it didn't look too good for a quick revival of the Domain.
loco bought the portingteam.com domain a few weeks ago and we decided we should go with this one if we were to get online again; and also we left Korich the iBrain.com.ua domain, since it was originally his.

Some more time had passed while i waited for loco to send me the backups of our Domain and to transfer the new portingteam Domain.
Finally some time at the beginning of the week Korich and me got loco's backups and the transferred domain, and the Blog and Forum came online a short time after that.
Korich is the brains behind the resurrection of the Forum, i couldn't have got it all online in such a short time because i had no real experience with the mySQL databases and the phpBB Board.
Korich also plans to merge the Forum and the Blog over to the Drupal system in the future, which has many advantages over the Wordpress and phpBB Board we have now.

Because of the huge amount of time and work loco invested into the Forum and the countless extensions and mods, there are still some bugs remaining which mostly are redirection problems and broken links because of the switch to a different Domain.

Now where do we go from here?
Given that only myself and Korich were the only Administrators left now that loco isn't active anymore, i decided to ask for some help for managing the Blog and the Forums and added a friend to the Admin list.
The third Administrator of the Blog and Forum is now thedoctor45 , a capable member of the Porting Team and a well known and respected guy who was one of the pillars of the creation of the mac poring scene.
Korich, myself and thedoctor45 will continue to make some improvements and there are still some events and things that need to be done.

The top priority to-do list so far:
-stabilizing and improving the Forum/Blog
-recreation of the Team itself, this part stopped when the Site went down
-selecting the Winner of the Game porting Team Movie contest (this part also stopped)

About one of the more recent steps we did:
We have made the Ported Games (Win Section) not guest-readable.
Because we have a new Server and a new Location, i don't know how the rules for full ports apply on this case, so the doc and me thought this would be necessary. One small sacrifice to make; you can still make a free Forum account and view these Sections, but i feel this gives us more space in the legal department.
And as some may already noticed, at the reconstruction of the Site we rebranded our Blog and Forum from 'The Game Porting Team' to the 'Porting Team', this has a few reasons. Like we're not doing only Game Ports now, but also apps, Tools and Emulators as well.
And it sounds better and more serious :)
Almost like the big mothership itself rebranded it's name form 'Apple Computer, Inc.' to 'Apple, Inc.' Nothing really changes, but also different categories get looked at.

So where your Ideas go: we will go.
Projects you're working on: we will share them.
Things you like: there are many minds here who are also interested.
We, as a community, will continue to improve this place; even without loco's presence.

P.S.: loco, if you're reading this: You will be missed and i hope that you will find some time in the future to get active again.  

-the Administrative Staff of the Porting Team:
devilhunter, Korich and thedoctor45
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#2 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:58 PM

P.S. 2: Korich fixed the nasty linking Bug, it should be ok now for links where you don't use the URL Tags.
The links that were already posted without the URL Tag are still displaying the not working iBrain redirects, so these must be manually edited to use the URL Tag or simply delete the old http://ibrain.com.ua/redirect.php? in front of the link to make it work again.
Hello. Sadly, I am not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore I cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports or posted topics.

- zero

#3 thedoc

thedoc

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 1311 posts
  • Graphics Card:nVidia GeForce 9600M GT - 512 MB RAM
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
  • I like to play:FPS, RPG, Racing

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:17 PM

a really nice summary devilhunter.

it's good to see the the team finally coming back together - I have some new stuff to share as well and I bet I'm not alone  :wink:

keep it up people, let's make this place even more enjoyable!
Posted Image

Check out my Porting Blog @ Doc's Office

#4 MoDFoX

MoDFoX

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512MB / Intel HD Graphics 288MB
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:15 AM

I have a little something I'm working on for the return, I hope to have it finished before the end of the weekend.

Nothing special or anything, but something fun.

#5 blueman56

blueman56

Veteran Member

• Donators
  • 342 posts
  • Graphics Card:A Portable One!
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

Yey!! Glad your back!! Missed this place!! Lets make it a long saty together!!  :D

#6 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

hey blueman, good to see you're back, too

- zero

#7 dafootballer

dafootballer

Master Member

• Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Graphics Card:Nvidia GeForce 9400m
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

im back too glad to see its back up

Posted ImagePosted ImageJoin the Porting Team Steam Group!

#8 Crowie

Crowie

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 630 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI HD 2600

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

i'm back too...

what about the reason of the quit of Loco. Can you say me in MP?

It's a good news the return of the GPT
:D
Fan of WineSkin http://wineskin.doh123.com/FAQ.html

In memory of my forumfriend MaxWeber (21/06/09)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

what about the reason of the quit of Loco

Well i only know he isn't near a computer for weeks, and has currently no time for anything online.
That's all i know and all i can say.

- zero

#10 jimjimjimbob

jimjimjimbob

Abandoned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

Amazing infinite thanks to Loco, and I hope and pray his situation is resolved so he can once again enjoy some of the benefits of the amazing work he put into this community.

Another huge thanks to Devilhunter and Korich for their time, effort and amazing dedication to the project and as a 'normal' (ish) member I'm sure I speak for the rest of the community in thanking you both.

May everyone's work so far, and the work, time etc. that people'll put in over the coming times to make this a bigger, better and more universally known and respected group of projects.
Hello. Sadly i'm not active here on the Porting Team anymore, and therefore i cannot give support or answer questions to any of my posted Ports.

- jimjimjimbob

#11 Secutor

Secutor

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

Amazing Design, i very like it.
And nice to see you back :)

#12 Psychomaniac

Psychomaniac

Advanced Porter

• Donators
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSomewhere, Over The Rainbow

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

Hey guys,

Good to hear you all again.
Thought it did'nt come online again.

Will change my links on all my posts that i have on the internet and re-direct them to this forum.

Psycho
Posted Image

#13 Calicobeard

Calicobeard

Lurker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:21 PM

Glad to see the return. I hope all ends up well for you guys (especially you loco).

#14 grabberslasher

grabberslasher

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:21 AM

Not sure I like the member categories ('Leecher'?), but glad you're back :) Now go get cracking with Cider from Warhammer Online; it's full of goodies!

Also, I'm very against having CrossOver ports mixed in with Cider ports on the 'ported games' forum. CrossOver uses X11, it's an alien windowing system. Cider ports are 'native'. I have to wade through all this CX crap just to find out which games are compatible with Cider

#15 DEAD_USER

DEAD_USER

Champion Member

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:38 AM

grabberslasher said:

Not sure I like the member categories ('Leecher'?)

Agreed, it's a bit... I don't know mean?

grabberslasher said:

Also, I'm very against having CrossOver ports mixed in with Cider ports on the 'ported games' forum. CrossOver uses X11, it's an alien windowing system. Cider ports are 'native'. I have to wade through all this CX crap just to find out which games are compatible with Cider

X11 alien window system? Cide ports native? Ufff......

#16 thedoc

thedoc

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 1311 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

We have a lot of people who just post "thx" in order to get to the download links - I guess the term leecher applies very well in this case - I'm sure many of you ppl with "Leecher" status try to contribute in a useful manner to our community and I understand that it's not possible for everyone to be contributive, but I also hope you understand that we as admins personally don't have the time to examine the posting-behaviour of every single user that might feel unfairly treated because of the new rank system.
All it takes to get rid of the Leecher status is a post count of more than 25 - I think that's not too hard to accomplish...  Please bear with us.

Optionally, you can also donate any amount of money and you will receive V.I.P status or port at least 2 games + post them in the ported games section and you will receive "Confirmed Porter" status.

PS: The Cider and CX ports and wrappers are labeled very clearly - just look at the thread icons in front. I don't see any difficulties there....

cheers
doc
Posted Image

#17 grabberslasher

grabberslasher

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:30 PM

thedoctor45 said:

The Cider and CX ports and wrappers are labeled very clearly - just look at the thread icons in front. I don't see any difficulties there...

That's like having Android and iPhone apps in the same forum. Sure, you can label it as clearly as you like, it's still a bad idea. Cider ports can at least pass off as native ports, but with Crossover ones there's no chance in hell. All you've done is package a Windows emulator with a binary.

(No offense to any CX porters out there, you're doing a great job and all)

Hansi said:

X11 alien window system? Cide ports native? Ufff......

Well, yeah, that's exactly what they are. Crossover uses X11, Cider ports either use SDL or Transgaming's own 'MacDrv' renderer, both native to the OS X WindowServer. Like it or not, X11 is alien on OS X. Saying otherwise is like saying VMWare + Unity running Windows apps is 'native'.

#18 thedoc

thedoc

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 1311 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

grabberslasher said:

Cider ports can at least pass off as native ports, but with Crossover ones there's no chance in hell. All you've done is package a Windows emulator with a binary.

None of the games that you will find here on this site can be referred to as "native" Mac ports.

And excuse me but CX and Wine are no emulators. They're merely a Windows-API replacement that translates calls from windows executables in order to hand them over to the host operating system (MacOS X).
Cider ports can never be called native since they are basically doing the same thing - The only difference is that they use dynamically linked libraries for that.
An emulator however is simulating a completely different hardware architecture.

I don't really see your problem - so you want us to go through all of these posts (again) and "separate" Cider from CX ports because.... you don't want to see them being posted next to each other?
Sorry but that doesn't convince me....
Posted Image

#19 grabberslasher

grabberslasher

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

The way the forum is set up it's geared more towards warez than actual technological achievement. That's not the forum I signed up for.

And, as much as you argue the point, Cider renders natively and CX renders through X11. I'm not trying to pull rank, even though I've ported more games, run more Cider forums, and know more about the Cider code than anyone else here, having gone through the Cider licensee program.

Good luck guys with everything
-gs

#20 devilhunter

devilhunter

just dancing to the beat

• Administrators
  • 3051 posts
Author

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

grabberslasher said:

The way the forum is set up it's geared more towards warez than actual technological achievement. That's not the forum I signed up for.

Well, this Forum is always what you make out of it. Tell about your Ideas, and we'll go after them.
A few examples: the Artist's Lounge, Members Projects, the Arcade and some more.
If you want a 'Cider modifying Corner', i'll create it for you, but if you don't tell anyone what you have in mind, no one can help you.
I think the option of splitting up the CX and Cider section is worth considering (now that CX Ports don't run on 10.6 anymore, but Cider Games do), but this would become more confusing then it is now when you want to look for a specific Game.
Things are always evolving, so this Idea is not from the Table yet.

Since we only had Cider to mess with at the beginning, everything suddenly hit a brick wall when Transgaming specialized Cider for certain game engines and made Cider almost impossible to use with other Games after version 2097. Yes, Cider has a very optimized Engine (that's built in native mac dynamic libraries) for injecting foreign Code into the mac's graphics and processing system, but it's not built for the general public to use it.
Unless you have a Transgaming license for Cider and a Team of engineers that optimizes a Cider/Cedega build around a specially built version of a PC game, your mostly out of luck when you try to force Cider to recognize a game it was not built for. Meaning: You're lucky if you find a game that works with Cider.

I personally prefer CX's window system, because it can run windowed apps and non-games. And a huge amount at that. No more trying dozens of games for one that could work with Cider, but almost every Game (non advanced DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 games) and apps work with the general purpose Code Translator that CX builds upon. Yes, it may have a freakish window System (X11), but i don't care about the Windows environment it loads into my RAM, i only care about the game or app that's it going to run.
Isn't that the purpose of tools like Cider and CrossOver?
Running Windows Code on a foreign System. Not having to reboot into Windows anymore.
And they complete each other: if the Game doesn't work with Cider, it may work with CX; if the Game doesn't work with CX, it may work with Cider.
Cider and CX/X11, two peas in a pot.

- zero

#21 thedoc

thedoc

Administration Team

• Administrators
  • 1311 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:56 PM

I'm not trying to pull rank, even though I've ported more games, run more Cider forums, and know more about the Cider code than anyone else here, having gone through the Cider licensee program.

Neither am I, but no offense - this statement sounds kinda presumptuous and immature. I'm sure you know a lot about Cider but claiming to have ported more games than "anyone else here" is nothing more than an unprovable assertion.

Well all I can say about that is: no one forces you to be a part of this community. What we're trying to accomplish among other things is to offer an easy to use opportunity for frustrated Mac gamers and Mac users who don't want to boot into Windows just to be able to play their favourite games and who don't have the time to learn porting and to actually port games themselves. That's what the Mac and MacOS are all about - user friendlyness and functionality. Porting games can be tricky - in many cases you have to modify game files or delte/add certain content or code to tweak performance and stability. So distributing complete and polished ports in one single package has some undeniable advantages. But I'm sure I don't have to tell you that since you already are such an experienced porter....

If you want to exchange technical information or learn more about the functionality of Cider/CX the Codeweavers/WineHQ forums will most likely be a better place for you to get started. We're offering porting help and porting tutorials but we are no professionals you see....

To sum it up - we're basically trying to save Mac gaming as good as possible - Also, this forum is not just about downloads - we also have boards for our member projects, help requests, porting documents and tools compatibility lists, porting vids etc... if you feel annoyed by the presence of game download links don't reply to the topics.

I've seen many Cider haters and I've seen CrossOver haters... but I still don't get why people have to stick to one view regarding this matter....

As devilhunter said - Cider and CrossOver are completing each other, enhancing and widening the world of Mac gaming for those who are open to new approaches and possibilies. Both technologies have their advantages and issues - but such is life.
Posted Image

#22 doh123

doh123

Wineskin Developer

• Members
  • 4279 posts
  • LocationOver here
  • Graphics Card:Geforce GT 650M, Intel HD 4000, Radeon 6750, Intel HD 3000, Geforce 320m (in 3 machines)
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  • I like to play:RPG and Strategy

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:06 AM

about the best I can come up with is that that "grabberslasher" person is a jerk, why even worry about it?

yes Cider is a *bit* better at a windowing system, but they have NOT completely ported over to native OSX Quartz, they use a lot of their own X11 based libraries in Cider... no matter how much Transgaming tries to lie about it.

Splitting up CX and Cider ports serves no purpose.  The point of the posts is to get working wrappers/programs for OSX, not about any specific porting method.

#23 blueman56

blueman56

Veteran Member

• Donators
  • 342 posts
  • Graphics Card:A Portable One!
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

Totally agree doh, as long as you click the icon of the game and it runs without problems, and not having to boot up the dreaded windows then i don't think it matters whether the game is Cider, CX or Wineskin, it has opened the door to many mac gamers who had a limited choice, now have an amazing choice thanks to the hard work of people here. Keep up the great work, no complaints here at all! :)

#24 spencer1375

spencer1375

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:18 AM

its good that its back up

#25 Guest_HollerBackNow_*

Guest_HollerBackNow_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:59 AM

Nice summary. Glad to see the site is up and running!  :Yahoo!:

#26 Guest_bruddalarry_*

Guest_bruddalarry_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:11 AM

Wow, didn't realize there was such a storied history to the forums. Looks like a young, thriving community. Glad to be apart of it.

#27 Guest_zuluwalker_*

Guest_zuluwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

It was quite a shock to find the forum down -- it's a huge relief to find it back up with a history lesson to boot! ;-)

Now I can go back to getting my game port fix and find some help with troubleshooting. :-D

Thanks for everyone's contributions and efforts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users