37 replies to this topic

#31 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GT
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:30 PM

Hello,
For professional reasons I am confined to Snow Leopard for my operating system. Is there any way to modify Bit Slicer 1.7 alpha 14 or 1.7.4 to work with my system? I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as the one app I depend on for a living needs to be wrapped with Rosetta to function. It's not a PPC app just a 32 Bit Universal Binary app that for whatever reason crashes in Snow Leopard unless wrapped with Rosetta. I'm trying to run a patch with the last version of bit slicer for Snow Leopard 1.7 alpha 8 and I get the error:

6:16:08 AM: An error occured trying to run the script...
6:16:08 AM: <class 'ImportError'>
6:16:08 AM: cannot import name VirtualMemoryError
6:16:08 AM: <traceback object at 0x1163d0b90>

I realize that you added VirtualMemoryError with version 1.7 Alpha 14 which is not compatible with Snow Leopard. If there is any chance of a fix for Snow Leopard please let me know. I'd be willing to pay for a custom version.

#32 Zorg

Zorg

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSpace
  • Graphics Card:I don't know.
  • Operating System:Other OS/Not specified
  • I like to play:Arcade, Side Scrollers

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:12 AM

Try removing the import line. It's not really needed as long as VirtualMemoryError isn't referenced anywhere in the script, and even if it was, you could remove those.

#33 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GT

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

Thanks so much for the tip. A working patch that I have simply says "import bitslicer" but this new patch says:

from bitslicer import VirtualMemoryError, DebuggerError
import vmprot

Are there any other tweeks I should make to get the patch working with 1.7 Alpha 8? I appreciate the support.

#34 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GT

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:35 AM

I tried to remove everything and just leave "import vmprot" which was referenced heavily in the patch but the patch won't open when those changes are made. I also tried "from bitslicer import vmprot" but that didn't work either. I can pm you the full patch code if that might help diagnose the problem.

#35 Zorg

Zorg

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:04 AM

Try removing the import vmprot line, and remove any lines that reference vmprot. vmprot was introduced in alpha 19 it looks like. Before a19, the vm.write* functions would automatically change memory protection before overwriting memory. This was later changed to be manual instead of automatic because of performance considerations. So, if vmprot is only being used to change protection before writing, you don't really need it on an older version.

#36 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GT

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hi,
Thanks again for the tips. When I remove any of the lines of code, even if I remove one letter, it breaks the patch similar to a program that requires a specific number of lines and characters to function. It almost sees like a security measure. As an alternative I tried mispelling each uneeded entry by one letter to disable them but then I get a syntax error on line 4. Line 4 has the code: ZNS.objectsV$class§ The error is below:

7:21:28 AM: An error occured trying to run the script...
7:21:28 AM: <class 'SyntaxError'>
7:21:28 AM: invalid syntax (10834924811744285254.py, line 4)
7:21:28 AM: <traceback object at 0x11667b3b0>

The patch opens but it won't execute properly. Is there a proper alternative method for disabling lines of code in the patch instead of removing them?

#37 Zorg

Zorg

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:41 PM

cyberfunk, on 13 February 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

Hi,
Thanks again for the tips. When I remove any of the lines of code, even if I remove one letter, it breaks the patch similar to a program that requires a specific number of lines and characters to function. It almost sees like a security measure...

Code is generally like this.. It has to be 100% typed correctly, otherwise it won't work. It shouldn't break for example, if you only just insert an empty line somewhere. The error you pasted is a syntax one - meaning the program is not typed correctly. It's hard to help without seeing the entire program. Feel free to take to PMs if you want.

#38 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

Novice Member

• Members
  • 5 posts
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GT

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:04 AM

OK Thanks! I just sent you the full unedited code so you can have a look. I appreciate the support!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users