• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 4850
  • Operating System:OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

I've tried Wine with the latest version of wine, but couldn't really get it to work, I really am feeling Nostalgic for Michael Jacksons Moon walker, can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

#2 Ωmega

Ωmega

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSecret Lair
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 860M
  • Operating System:Windows
  • I like to play:all sorts of games. I'm really open to anything!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

You should put this in the help section?
Posted Image

"I am the messiah."

If I helped you in any way please like my post! ;)

#3 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
  • Operating System:Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
Author

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:03 AM

There is SDLMAME for OS X:
http://sdlmame.lngn.net
I haven't tried it, I'd rather wait for OpenEmu to support MAME, but at least a native version exists.
Games I own that still need porting:
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Descent 3, Fallout, Space Rangers 2

#4 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:41 AM

Don't see much need for running MAME with Wine as HiPhish said, SDLMAME is functionality just the same and works great.

You can run MAME in OpenEmu now, I prefer using it over QMC2 frontend for MAME.
No need waiting for 1.0 release of OpenEmu ;-)
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#5 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:49 AM

Thanks for the help guys whats that about a open Emu any links?

#6 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

Ok wait total idiot here, (first to admit) how do I get games to run off of Terminal, I'm downloading SDL maybe thats why its not working

#7 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

Nevermind guys way to complecated for me I will just wait for the open emu any place to get the beta to that?

#8 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostLuchador138, on 28 November 2013 - 05:04 AM, said:

Nevermind guys way to complecated for me I will just wait for the open emu any place to get the beta to that?
You'll have to compile the source code yourself, as explained here:
https://github.com/O...om-Source-Guide

As you experienced it, the problem with emulation is that it's often hacker's domain, nothing is really explained and there is no nice and user friendly interface. There are a number of frontends for SDLMAME (that take away the need for Terminal), like the above mentioned QMC2, but I never tried those. If you don't want to compile OpenEmu you should take a look at it first:
http://qmc2.arcadehits.net/wordpress/

View PostHeadrush69, on 28 November 2013 - 02:41 AM, said:

You can run MAME in OpenEmu now, I prefer using it over QMC2 frontend for MAME.
No need waiting for 1.0 release of OpenEmu ;-)
Cool, I wasn't aware they already added MAME support. Looks like it's time to compile the source again.
EDIT: nope, no MAME here :/ must be among the experimental cores then.

#9 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yeah its weird when I had a PC way back in 99 I remember it being a lot easier, if only they could do it so that you just start a app, got to open or load a file and that was that. What happened?

#10 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

Lack of interest in making it simple, that's what happened.It's not like it has to be complicated, it's just that no one bothered making it simple. That's why the openEmu project was born, those guys want to make emulation as simple and elegant as possible, but like many other open source project it has been stuck in eternal beta for years.

#11 Headrush69

Headrush69

Rookie Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Graphics Card:ATI Radeon HD 6970M
  • Operating System:OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:32 AM

Yes MAME was experimental, but works perfectly for every game I play.

SDLMAME has a built in GUI now that runs when you start the app without any parameters. Although not glamorous it works well.

No need to mess with terminal to make starting SDLMAME work.
Just use AppleScript Editor and make a application with a single line like this:
do shell script "cd /Applications/mame0150-64bit; ./mame64"

Now you can just double click that icon to start MAME.
System Specs: 27" iMac 12,2 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD

Ported Games: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (both with all expansion packs including UCES),
Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Need for Speed - High Stakes, Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit 2, RCT3
Aliens Vs. Predator, Armed and Dangerous, Re-Volt, Sid Meier's Railroads, Steam:Rush

#12 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostHeadrush69, on 29 November 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

Yes MAME was experimental, but works perfectly for every game I play.

SDLMAME has a built in GUI now that runs when you start the app without any parameters. Although not glamorous it works well.

No need to mess with terminal to make starting SDLMAME work.
Just use AppleScript Editor and make a application with a single line like this:
do shell script "cd /Applications/mame0150-64bit; ./mame64"

Now you can just double click that icon to start MAME.

Head Rush OpenEmu came out how do I run Mame on it?

#13 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

The download button has a little triangle, click it and choose the experimental OpenEmu.

#14 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostHiPhish, on 25 December 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

The download button has a little triangle, click it and choose the experimental OpenEmu.

Know any sites that work well with or ya know eh R.O.M.S? Also found a site that had a game with MAME already loaded into it I used crossover to convert it and it played fine without MAME it was already to go any idea how they did it? I could link the site I got it from or put the file in drop box?

#15 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Just type "mame roms" or something similar into Google and you should get a ton of ROM sites. I haven't actually tried the MAME emulator, so I don't know how well the emulation works though.

#16 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

Did a little research and found this

https://github.com/O...penEmu/pull/666

if you guys know a lot about mame they could use some help, on the bright side I got Nintendo 64 to run on open emu :D

#17 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2GB
  • Operating System:macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

It should be possible to take sdlmame and make a wrapper out of it much like had been done with dosbox. I have some applescript applets to directly launch games from an icon. The command line variables for sdlmame let you configure where everything is located. Once launched all you have to do is press tab and do any other configuration you want.

Same thing with other emulators such as mupen64 that are command line driven.

BTW, openemu is neat but I wish it had a controller driven full screen interface when put into fullscreen and a few more consoles supported.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
-- Alex Delarge, A Clockwork Orange
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#18 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostTetsu, on 07 January 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

BTW, openemu is neat but I wish it had a controller driven full screen interface when put into fullscreen and a few more consoles supported.
Both of those things are already planned, but it will still take some time. Especially a gamepad-driven UI would be really neat for everyone who wants to plug their Mac into the TV.

#19 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostHiPhish, on 07 January 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Both of those things are already planned, but it will still take some time. Especially a gamepad-driven UI would be really neat for everyone who wants to plug their Mac into the TV.

This is all possible if you go into prefrences you could map out any button to whatever controller so far I've tested a SNES usb controller and a Xbox 360 controller, they work fine, as for other systems if you download OpenEmu experemental it has a ton of systems also I got OpenEmu to run arcade games check out the link I posted I posted over on that website.

So in other words I've run the arcade emulator on full screen and have used a controller.

#20 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace
  • I like to play:First Person Shooters, Arcade Games, Adventure Games, Platformers, Puzzlers

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

I haven't noticed any arcade emulator nor have I noticed any section to natively bind the UI functions to gamepad keys. Perhaps that's also in experimental but not release. I'll look into that experimental build.

Trying to emulate keyboard functions with my apple remote was almost there (I don't want to do that with the gamepad emulating keyboard as it'd interfere with the native gamepad function.. hell I in general don't like emulating the keyboard with my gamepad in general and strongly favor using native gamepad function... I wouldn't even be using mira for my apple remote if I hadn't needed to use a third party IR receiver with my iMac to restore functionality removed by Apple in the latest iMacs).

I wasn't talking about something obvious like using a gamepad with the various emulators in OpenEmu.
--Kama
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB Hard Drive

#21 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

View PostTetsu, on 07 January 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

I haven't noticed any arcade emulator nor have I noticed any section to natively bind the UI functions to gamepad keys. Perhaps that's also in experimental but not release. I'll look into that experimental build.

Trying to emulate keyboard functions with my apple remote was almost there (I don't want to do that with the gamepad emulating keyboard as it'd interfere with the native gamepad function.. hell I in general don't like emulating the keyboard with my gamepad in general and strongly favor using native gamepad function... I wouldn't even be using mira for my apple remote if I hadn't needed to use a third party IR receiver with my iMac to restore functionality removed by Apple in the latest iMacs).

I wasn't talking about something obvious like using a gamepad with the various emulators in OpenEmu.

Well when you download the experemental one arcade is included you may have to check it off in the Prefrences section of OpenEmu on the upper left, just click on prefrences there is a option to set any gamepad to anything.

#22 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

Just to be clear I repeat I'm not talking about controller options for the games but rather for the OpenEmu UI itself. So I can navigate the UI choose and launch a game with a controller. I have keyboard emulation set for my apple remote but that's not a full solution because one still has to click on the different sections in the UI to bring them to focus to navigate.

It's perfectly smack your head obvious that there's options with pretty graphics for changing the controls for the various emulators in the app. Even in the stable release.

Also, where can I find compiled builds of experimental?
--Kama

#23 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostTetsu, on 07 January 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

Just to be clear I repeat I'm not talking about controller options for the games but rather for the OpenEmu UI itself. So I can navigate the UI choose and launch a game with a controller. I have keyboard emulation set for my apple remote but that's not a full solution because one still has to click on the different sections in the UI to bring them to focus to navigate.

It's perfectly smack your head obvious that there's options with pretty graphics for changing the controls for the various emulators in the app. Even in the stable release.

Also, where can I find compiled builds of experimental?

Got ya, sorry didn't get it at first, well you can use controller mate to control a mouse I suppose but I guess the only way to do it is to usse a wireless mouse since you just have to start the game then let the controller do the rest? As for the experemental, go to official site then there is a little arrow on the download button there are other versions to download.

#24 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

I already talked about that stuff too. Read my previous posts where I mention keyboard emulation and how I even configured my apple remote using it. Not an ideal solution because A) it interferes with the built in support (which is why I used apple remote in the first place) and B) you still have to click on the emulators on left to choose one and then back again to the right to bring the game section back into focus.

Trying to emulate keyboard functions with my apple remote was almost there (I don't want to do that with the gamepad emulating keyboard as it'd interfere with the native gamepad function.. *snip* hell I in general don't like emulating the keyboard with my gamepad in general and strongly favor using native gamepad function...

So yeah, I already attempted to use software like gamepad companion to get it to work and it's not the perfect solution.... and I have a wireless mouse but I don't like to take it with me to my sofa. Hell, I could even put the keyboard in my lap on my sofa and use that too but that's not the choice for me.

Some controllers such as retro controllers or arcade sticks don't even have a right stick to use for mouse emulation anyway. I have an arcade stick and I like using it with arcade and retro games.

Also, one can't even close a game with a controller.. But I have a button on my apple remote set to close it at least.

Still, yeah... a fully gamepad driven full screen UI would be nice. Sort of like big picture mode in Steam.
--Kama

#25 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

Well I just tried MAME in OpenEmu and it's kind of too simplified to my tastes. Different arcade games have different original pixel aspect ratios and OpenEmu seems to force them all to 4:3. Also, some games need custom controller configurations and OpenEmu uses the same config for them all. This makes games like Mortal Kombat virtually unplayable. Also, I like to have access to the DIP settings to set things like free play.

Having pretty much the same settings for all games works more for consoles than for arcade. But certain consoles such as N64 and PSX I like to see with graphical improvements such as higher resolution which OpenEmu does not provide beyond full screen filters. Perhaps if you dig into the settings manually you can change the resolution of those consoles as well as do other advanced things. I like how I have an applet launching Mario 64 as if it's a wrapped game and having it run at 2560x1440 native resolution with a high res texture pack that I worked on.

Still it's perfectly fine for 16 and 8 bit consoles.
--Kama

#26 HiPhish

HiPhish

Champion Member

• Members
  • 697 posts
Author

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

That's why those cores are still experimental ;) They are aware of all the issues you mentioned, the experimental builds are just for people who want to play with wet paint.

#27 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

They're still valid concerns and opinions to me regardless of the experimental status of those cores. I'm well aware that betas and experimental versions tend to be not finished. Hell, even non-beta can be pretty unfinished.
--Kama

#28 Luchador138

Luchador138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

I like wet paint, and I could care less for Mortal Kombat seeing as you can play it on xbox, I was happy I was able to play Michael Jackson's moonwalker, I haven't played that arcade game since I was a kid so yeah I love OpenEmu, the other option is nothing so I'm not complaining.

#29 Kama.Stein

Kama.Stein

Champion Member

• Donators
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

Well that's like... your opinion man. I here don't play games on actual consoles. I don't have an Xbox and I never will. Not only do I play MK in emulation but I've also played the recent Windows versions. So go ahead and play your Xbox versions. I'll do what I want... and via sdlmame and my applet and my arcade stick it runs just fine. Your preference doesn't invalidate it. I was also making a statement.. not asking a question.. and MK was just an example. There are many other games that need custom button settings to properly map the original arcade buttons to whatever you have. Including light gun games, which need analog joystick support and or mouse support.

But like I indicated before I like OpenEmu for some things but not all things retro. That's just my opinion... thanks though. If something doesn't work fully the way I want to I'll just use something else until it does if ever. Also I'm not really complaining per say as in being negative. I'm just sharing my experience with that particular emulator which I still use for some things. Yes, yes I realize they are working on it... no need to beat me over the head. I at times use beta software fully understanding its status but that still doesn't mean I ignore the problems. I give feedback... and not just in some random forum where they might not see.
--Kama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users